Skip to content

How to Apply

Please know that services through OAS are voluntary and provided only upon student request. Received documentation is confidential. This information is only released and/or discussed on a need-to-know basis. It is also subject to FERPA guidelines. Outside these guidelines, no information is released and/or discussed without consent from the individual.


The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) invites students to meet with a member of our team as soon as possible to discuss:

a. Any disability-related barriers they have experienced in the past,

b. Any related barriers they are currently facing, or

c. Any related barriers they expect for the future at Spalding University.

During the initial meeting, OAS team member and the student will identify barriers. This will help determine if the student is eligible for services.


Students seeking accommodations will need to submit the appropriate documentation to the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS).

Documentation must include:

1. Request for Accommodation Application – Students are to complete and submit this online form.

2. Disability Documentation Form for Academic Accommodation and/or Disability Documentation Form for Housing Accommodation

To be completed by the student’s health care provider and returned directly to OAS.

3. Documentation of the disability – Please refer to our specific guidelines for proper documentation.

If you are unable to provide documentation from a psychiatrist, psychologist or certified mental health professional. Please reach out to Spalding University’s Counseling and Psychological Services for a full battery of assessments at no charge. This process is time-consuming and may take one or more sessions for the Spalding University Counseling Center to schedule.


If/when the student submits all required documentation, student will contact the Office of Accessibility Services to schedule an appointment. During the meeting:

a. The student and the Coordinator for Accessibility Services will review and discuss submitted documentation.

b. The student and the Coordinator for Accessibility Services will discuss appropriate and reasonable accommodations as it relates to the disability.

c. The Coordinator for Accessibility Services will develop a written notice to instructors that state the accommodations the student is eligible to receive for the current term. The student will deliver the notices to respective instructions. The student should is responsible for discussing the accommodations with instructor as soon as possible. The instructor and the student should discuss documented accommodations.


Please note that this process (STEPS 1 AND 2) must be completed for each academic year, in order to access services. If the student has medical documentation on file that is current and relevant, then they just needs to schedule an appointment to discuss current documentation and request accommodations.

For first year students, an IEP or 504 plan from previous high school may be helpful information, but generally is not sufficient documentation. The IEP or 504 would need to be current and relevant to the student’s current needs (generally current within 3 years).

The student and/or the instructor should communicate any concerns about accommodations to the Coordinator for Accessibility Services.

Note: The Americans with Disabilities Act (1990) stipulates that post-secondary institutions are responsible for providing necessary accommodations when a student discloses a disability unless to do so would “fundamentally alter” the nature of the programs or result in an “undue burden.” Providing accommodations do not compromise the essential elements of a course or curriculum; nor do they weaken the academic standards or integrity of a course. Accommodations simply provide an alternative way to accomplish the course requirements by eliminating or reducing disability related barriers. They provide a level playing field, not an unfair advantage.

The Office of Accessibility Services establishes the final determination of appropriate accommodations.

Please note that it is the responsibility of the STUDENT to follow the steps above in order to access services through the Office of Accessibility Services.

The Office of Accessibility Services is located in Library Rm 314. Contact Accessibility Services, at 502-3873-4161 or schedule an appointment if additional information is needed